Cancer…this is a word that strikes fear in our heart with just an utterance, or even just seeing the word. My dad recently found out that he has very early case of prostate cancer, and so I have felt this fear with this word, really for the first time ever. Honestly, I don’t feel like it has sunk in yet. I am so grateful for the great news that this was caught early enough that it shouldn’t be a big concern, but it also almost masks the fact that he does have cancer, at least in my mind. This is probably a good thing given my tendency to let my human nature have reign and let worry take control. I told Trent, “I don’t want to say ‘my dad has cancer.’” But given the facts that is the reality. I think it also makes it surreal that we are so far away from the situation, so it almost doesn’t seem real. So in going through processing this reality, I of course went through all the human nature questions like “why him,” “what if’s,” and “is this somehow my fault.” But I have been amazed (I guess that’s the right word) at the peace I have felt. I shouldn’t be amazed, since I know how great out God is. Maybe its better to put it that I am in awe of the peace instead of amazed. But I Had been praying for my parents to feel His peace during to time as it sinks in and as they have a decision to make on how to proceed, and it seems as I asked it for them, I got some too! As I slowly get more details and background about the situation, I see more and more the hand of God working in the midst of it all. Again, being amazed at how great our God is. So I continue to pray for clarity and direction as my parents seek God for which treatment/option to take. I feel very far away form the situation, but wonder if that was God’s plan to protect me from myself. And of course I wonder, “what is the purpose behind this situation?” I don’t like to miss something like God moving! But I also have to take a step back and see who God could be moving in through this. Its all for His glory, whatever it is.
One thing I learn pretty quickly during all this was how much I take my parents for granted. They are always there when I need them…but I must be careful not to just put them on the shelf until I need them again. They must be cherished and loved and be told that! I am so blessed with my parents and look up to them so much. I am realizing more and more how much I look up to them for their work. They both are self employed, running two businesses with just the two of them and my brother. My mom started working from home when we were young just to be sure she was always there for us. And dad has always worked so hard and provided for us, giving 100-110% of himself. No wonder I am such a multi-tasker! That man just can’t sit still! What can I say, God is great!
God is teaching me how dependent I am on Him. I can do nothing in this situation. Its not just I need to rush down and see dad, as if he were in the hospital or something. I have no decision to make; its his and mom’s decision. I just get to trust God and pray for them. What a learning experience!
Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.-Philippians 4:6-7 (NLT)
Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.-1 Peter 5:7 (NLT)
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. - Romans 8:28 (NLT)
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. - 2 Timothy 1:7 (NLT)
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. - 2 Corinthians 9:8 (NIV)
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. - James 1:5 (NIV)
... the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.-Deut. 3:6 (NIV)
One thing I learn pretty quickly during all this was how much I take my parents for granted. They are always there when I need them…but I must be careful not to just put them on the shelf until I need them again. They must be cherished and loved and be told that! I am so blessed with my parents and look up to them so much. I am realizing more and more how much I look up to them for their work. They both are self employed, running two businesses with just the two of them and my brother. My mom started working from home when we were young just to be sure she was always there for us. And dad has always worked so hard and provided for us, giving 100-110% of himself. No wonder I am such a multi-tasker! That man just can’t sit still! What can I say, God is great!
God is teaching me how dependent I am on Him. I can do nothing in this situation. Its not just I need to rush down and see dad, as if he were in the hospital or something. I have no decision to make; its his and mom’s decision. I just get to trust God and pray for them. What a learning experience!
Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.-Philippians 4:6-7 (NLT)
Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.-1 Peter 5:7 (NLT)
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. - Romans 8:28 (NLT)
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. - 2 Timothy 1:7 (NLT)
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. - 2 Corinthians 9:8 (NIV)
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. - James 1:5 (NIV)
... the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.-Deut. 3:6 (NIV)
Comments
Post a Comment