This morning, Trent and I set off for our trek to Arkansas, the "big town" of Etowah to be exact, where he was preaching. I love to hear Trent preach, so I wanted to share what God spoke to me through him today. His sermon this morning was from the text John 11:17-36, where Jesus goes back to Bethany, where his friend Lazarus had died. He meets with both of Lazarus' sisters Mary and Martha, who are (naturally) grieving over the death of their brother. So, in short, the main message of the sermon was - in times of grief or despair, go to Jesus! Really, in general, if you are in need - go to Jesus! He is the only one who can meet our needs! And ALL of them at that!!
--Specifically in this case, Mary and Martha were seeking compassion and completeness. Jesus had that for them...and only Jesus had it for them. They could be around as many people as they could find and still not find the compassion and completeness found in Jesus. Even though we can't fulfill this need that others have, we do have the obligation to guide others to the one who can.
--We know that Jesus is able to give us what we need because He is in control of the situation. Mary knew that Jesus was in control - she called Him "Lord."
--Another thing to remember when going to Jesus in our time of need is that he identifies with us. He showed emotion in this passage (anger and grief). He lived life, just as we do.
--I think the main thing I got out of this message was in the completeness aspect. Martha realized that the people around her couldn't give her the completeness she needed, so she went to Jesus. Normally when people are grieving, they stay at home and others visited them. But in this case, Martha went out and met Jesus! In Trent's message, he pointed out that not even Lazarus being alive could have made Martha complete. She was grieved that her brother was dead and told Jesus "if You had been here, my brother wouldn't have died." He replies to her "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in Me, even if he dies, will live. Everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die-ever. Do you believe this?" Look to Jesus to be made complete! Life in Jesus gives us completeness.
--This doesn't mean that we won't hurt...the hurt comes from the love. So in order for the hurt to go away the love would have to go away...and we don't want that. We just have to go to Jesus to help us through the hurt.
--The idea that we can get completeness ourselves started with the devil, way back in the garden. We try to complete ourselves by having enough stuff, being more knowledgeable, knowing the right people, etc. But, if you haven't noticed already, "things" will never satisfy forever! They will wear off and we will search for something else to hold us over. But when we look to Jesus to satisfy, and stay in Jesus, He will satisfy forever!!
To finish with the idea of satisfaction in Jesus, here is a song from Tenth Avenue North. (Obviously, I am starting a new trend of using song lyrics in my posts...I just love messages through song!)
Satisfy by Tenth Avenue North
Before the sun has touched the sky
Colors bursting from Your eyes
Before the flood of the morning light
Before the earth has felt Your heat
Before I stand up to my
I begin to feel this weak
Satisfy me, Lord
Satisfy me, Lord
I'm begging You to help me see
You're all I want , You're what I need
Satisfy me, Lord
And when the day is closing in like the stars in the night
I am falling into the pull of the earth and its affections
In me, O Lord, can You create a pure heart?
Because I'm afraid that I just might run back
To the things I hate
You're beautiful
You're beautiful
You're more than all this world can give
You're beautiful
You're beautiful
Your love is all I need to live
--Specifically in this case, Mary and Martha were seeking compassion and completeness. Jesus had that for them...and only Jesus had it for them. They could be around as many people as they could find and still not find the compassion and completeness found in Jesus. Even though we can't fulfill this need that others have, we do have the obligation to guide others to the one who can.
--We know that Jesus is able to give us what we need because He is in control of the situation. Mary knew that Jesus was in control - she called Him "Lord."
--Another thing to remember when going to Jesus in our time of need is that he identifies with us. He showed emotion in this passage (anger and grief). He lived life, just as we do.
--I think the main thing I got out of this message was in the completeness aspect. Martha realized that the people around her couldn't give her the completeness she needed, so she went to Jesus. Normally when people are grieving, they stay at home and others visited them. But in this case, Martha went out and met Jesus! In Trent's message, he pointed out that not even Lazarus being alive could have made Martha complete. She was grieved that her brother was dead and told Jesus "if You had been here, my brother wouldn't have died." He replies to her "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in Me, even if he dies, will live. Everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die-ever. Do you believe this?" Look to Jesus to be made complete! Life in Jesus gives us completeness.
--This doesn't mean that we won't hurt...the hurt comes from the love. So in order for the hurt to go away the love would have to go away...and we don't want that. We just have to go to Jesus to help us through the hurt.
--The idea that we can get completeness ourselves started with the devil, way back in the garden. We try to complete ourselves by having enough stuff, being more knowledgeable, knowing the right people, etc. But, if you haven't noticed already, "things" will never satisfy forever! They will wear off and we will search for something else to hold us over. But when we look to Jesus to satisfy, and stay in Jesus, He will satisfy forever!!
To finish with the idea of satisfaction in Jesus, here is a song from Tenth Avenue North. (Obviously, I am starting a new trend of using song lyrics in my posts...I just love messages through song!)
Satisfy by Tenth Avenue North
Before the sun has touched the sky
Colors bursting from Your eyes
Before the flood of the morning light
Before the earth has felt Your heat
Before I stand up to my
I begin to feel this weak
Satisfy me, Lord
Satisfy me, Lord
I'm begging You to help me see
You're all I want , You're what I need
Satisfy me, Lord
And when the day is closing in like the stars in the night
I am falling into the pull of the earth and its affections
In me, O Lord, can You create a pure heart?
Because I'm afraid that I just might run back
To the things I hate
You're beautiful
You're beautiful
You're more than all this world can give
You're beautiful
You're beautiful
Your love is all I need to live
Comments
Post a Comment