So I was reading through Ephesians today, and really enjoyed it! Over the past month I have really been getting into the writings of Paul. The way he writes is so beautiful and yet pierces your heart as well. What I have enjoyed so much though is reading the whole books, so that I can get the whole picture. Ever since I started in January reading the Bible chronologically, I really have started to see the importance of context. It all fits together so much better that way! So here are a few "nuggets" that were spoken to me today in Ephesians.
Ephesians 1:18
[I pray] that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened so you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the glorious riches of His inheritance among the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of His power to us who believe, according to the working of His vast strength.
At first glance, we would normally just read over this, without fully understanding what it means...or at least I always did. But after really reading and studying this, God impressed on me an important truth from the section that talks about the "glorious riches of His inheritance." This speaks about looking forward while focusing on God's promises, instead of focusing so much on our present needs and circumstances. It's all about putting our focus on God and what He promises to us...which are so vast that I can't even begin to list them. But to apply this in an example.....some of you may know that back in 2008 I really struggled with anxiety problems. It was a scary time of "what's wrong with me," "am I going to die," and so on. It was truly spiritual warfare in which the devil was winning for a while. I was allowing him (the devil) to rule my life and inflict so much fear in me, that I lost focus on the Great God that I should have been serving. So...I share that to say that this verse really showed me that I don't need to focus on my fears or pains of my physical body (the present needs I thought I had) but on the promises of God (that He loves me, is watching over me, and no matter what happens He is in control). Once I was failing to put on the armor of God, that allowed the devil to come in and rule instead of God. Then I became weak and it became harder and harder to put that armor back on. So with much prayer, reading the Word and applying it, I slowly put the armor back on. Everyday I must remember "the glorious riches of His inheritance," looking at His promises instead of my fears of right now. I must seek God's inheritance each day, not the world's.
Ephesians 1:18
[I pray] that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened so you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the glorious riches of His inheritance among the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of His power to us who believe, according to the working of His vast strength.
At first glance, we would normally just read over this, without fully understanding what it means...or at least I always did. But after really reading and studying this, God impressed on me an important truth from the section that talks about the "glorious riches of His inheritance." This speaks about looking forward while focusing on God's promises, instead of focusing so much on our present needs and circumstances. It's all about putting our focus on God and what He promises to us...which are so vast that I can't even begin to list them. But to apply this in an example.....some of you may know that back in 2008 I really struggled with anxiety problems. It was a scary time of "what's wrong with me," "am I going to die," and so on. It was truly spiritual warfare in which the devil was winning for a while. I was allowing him (the devil) to rule my life and inflict so much fear in me, that I lost focus on the Great God that I should have been serving. So...I share that to say that this verse really showed me that I don't need to focus on my fears or pains of my physical body (the present needs I thought I had) but on the promises of God (that He loves me, is watching over me, and no matter what happens He is in control). Once I was failing to put on the armor of God, that allowed the devil to come in and rule instead of God. Then I became weak and it became harder and harder to put that armor back on. So with much prayer, reading the Word and applying it, I slowly put the armor back on. Everyday I must remember "the glorious riches of His inheritance," looking at His promises instead of my fears of right now. I must seek God's inheritance each day, not the world's.
It is so easy for us to focus on the things of the world, instead of focusing on His plan for us. We are all in such a hurry, we don't slow down and take the time to really pay attention to what is ReAlLy going on around us.
ReplyDeleteWe allow the devil to use our weaknesses to pull us down. We should all awake refreshed every morning, putting on the Full Armor of God before we muster out into this world of strife! Then stay focused on only those things that are of His plan and shaking off the things of the devil, as those arrows come toward us, we shield our selves with His Word and His promises.
One thing that I have found that works for me is when I am having a hard time in my life...., I look around and try to focus on helping other people to get my mind off of my problems. I almost always find that my life is not as hard as I thought it was!
We are supposed to be looking around us to see what He is doing and then get to work on His stuff! His Stuff is always much more productive than mine will ever be!