So it’s been a while since I last posted a blog. I have been searching and trying to find something to post. But each time I felt it would be “forced.” So instead I decide just to wait on God and He would give me what to post in His time. Boy, this waiting stuff isn’t easy! So I have just been taking notes during my Bible reading and finally I feel like I have the “go ahead” to post. So this post will be just bits and pieces of stuff I discovered through my Bible reading (just as a reminder (for context of where and why I am reading these chapters, I am reading through the Chronological Bible…I may be a little behind, put I keep pressing forward).
1 Kings 8:62-66
"The king and all Israel with him were offering sacrifices in the LORD's presence. 63 Solomon offered a sacrifice of fellowship offerings to the LORD: 22,000 cattle and 120,000 sheep. In this manner the king and all the Israelites dedicated the LORD's temple. On the same day, the king consecrated the middle of the courtyard that was in front of the LORD's temple because that was where he offered the burnt offering, the grain offering, and the fat of the fellowship offerings since the bronze altar before the LORD was too small to accommodate the burnt offerings, the grain offerings, and the fat of the fellowship offerings. Solomon and all Israel with him—a great assembly, from the entrance of Hamath to the Brook of Egypt—observed the festival at that time in the presence of the LORD our God, seven days, and seven [more] days—14 days. On the fifteenth day he sent the people away. So they blessed the king and went home to their tents rejoicing and with joyful hearts for all the goodness that the LORD had done for His servant David and for His people Israel."
So the temple had been completed, and God’s glory has filled it. Now they are celebrating and offering sacrifices, dedicating the temple of God.
I love their attitude! They “celebrated…for seven days and seven days more, fourteen days in all. On the following day he sent the people away. They blessed the kind and then went home, JOYFUL AND GLAD IN HEART FOR ALL THE GOOD THINGS THE LORD HAD DONE FOR HIS SERVANT DAVID AND HIS PEOPLE ISRAEL.” So after 14 days of worship and giving offerings, they all went home joyful and glad. This makes me think about us in our days….we have a hard time just giving all of ONE day to Him! Sure we have more distractions than Israel did back then, but we still serve the same awesome God!
1 Kings 9:3
“The Lord said to him: ‘I have heard the prayer and plea you have made before me; I have consecrated this temple, which you have built, by putting my Name there forever. My eyes and heart will always be there.”
Just a note on something I had never picked up on before…last part of this verse. “My eyes” means He will watch over this place. “Heart” means that He will love this place…always.
Proverbs 3:21-26
"My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared."
Wisdom will preserve your life! This is not our own wisdom, but wisdom from God. This section talks about making “sound judgment and discernment” a way of life. Then you will live life in safety and will not stumble. This is just a general promise, not an absolute that we will never have occasion to stumble. Compared to the unwise, we will have tranquility. If we apply our own wisdom and not God’s, though, our common sense and personal competence will only last so long if God’s protection is missing.
Proverbs 6:16-19
I guess that I have always kind of skipped over this section.
“There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him:
haughty eyes, (arrogant/proud)
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
a false witness who pours out lies,
and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.” (stirs up disagreements)
Proverbs 6:20-23
“My son, keep your father’s commands and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way of life.
Solomon was wise and godly. But God also inspired the words of the book of Proverbs. So this can apply to both Solomon’s godly teaching to his children and also to God’s commands to us (which should be the same…obviously). So, this elementary thing just jumped out at me. If we “bind” God’s commands to our hearts, then as we walk (live life) God’s commands will guide us, watch over us when we sleep and speak to us when we get up. What a wonderful picture of what God’s Word can do for us. I see such peace in this. If I will hide God’s Word in my heart then as I go about my daily life it will manifest itself in my decisions and actions. There will be no question of “what do I do” but instead just the voice of God saying, these are my truths…walk in them and obey Me.
1 Kings 8:62-66
"The king and all Israel with him were offering sacrifices in the LORD's presence. 63 Solomon offered a sacrifice of fellowship offerings to the LORD: 22,000 cattle and 120,000 sheep. In this manner the king and all the Israelites dedicated the LORD's temple. On the same day, the king consecrated the middle of the courtyard that was in front of the LORD's temple because that was where he offered the burnt offering, the grain offering, and the fat of the fellowship offerings since the bronze altar before the LORD was too small to accommodate the burnt offerings, the grain offerings, and the fat of the fellowship offerings. Solomon and all Israel with him—a great assembly, from the entrance of Hamath to the Brook of Egypt—observed the festival at that time in the presence of the LORD our God, seven days, and seven [more] days—14 days. On the fifteenth day he sent the people away. So they blessed the king and went home to their tents rejoicing and with joyful hearts for all the goodness that the LORD had done for His servant David and for His people Israel."
So the temple had been completed, and God’s glory has filled it. Now they are celebrating and offering sacrifices, dedicating the temple of God.
I love their attitude! They “celebrated…for seven days and seven days more, fourteen days in all. On the following day he sent the people away. They blessed the kind and then went home, JOYFUL AND GLAD IN HEART FOR ALL THE GOOD THINGS THE LORD HAD DONE FOR HIS SERVANT DAVID AND HIS PEOPLE ISRAEL.” So after 14 days of worship and giving offerings, they all went home joyful and glad. This makes me think about us in our days….we have a hard time just giving all of ONE day to Him! Sure we have more distractions than Israel did back then, but we still serve the same awesome God!
1 Kings 9:3
“The Lord said to him: ‘I have heard the prayer and plea you have made before me; I have consecrated this temple, which you have built, by putting my Name there forever. My eyes and heart will always be there.”
Just a note on something I had never picked up on before…last part of this verse. “My eyes” means He will watch over this place. “Heart” means that He will love this place…always.
Proverbs 3:21-26
"My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared."
Wisdom will preserve your life! This is not our own wisdom, but wisdom from God. This section talks about making “sound judgment and discernment” a way of life. Then you will live life in safety and will not stumble. This is just a general promise, not an absolute that we will never have occasion to stumble. Compared to the unwise, we will have tranquility. If we apply our own wisdom and not God’s, though, our common sense and personal competence will only last so long if God’s protection is missing.
Proverbs 6:16-19
I guess that I have always kind of skipped over this section.
“There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him:
haughty eyes, (arrogant/proud)
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
a false witness who pours out lies,
and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.” (stirs up disagreements)
Proverbs 6:20-23
“My son, keep your father’s commands and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way of life.
Solomon was wise and godly. But God also inspired the words of the book of Proverbs. So this can apply to both Solomon’s godly teaching to his children and also to God’s commands to us (which should be the same…obviously). So, this elementary thing just jumped out at me. If we “bind” God’s commands to our hearts, then as we walk (live life) God’s commands will guide us, watch over us when we sleep and speak to us when we get up. What a wonderful picture of what God’s Word can do for us. I see such peace in this. If I will hide God’s Word in my heart then as I go about my daily life it will manifest itself in my decisions and actions. There will be no question of “what do I do” but instead just the voice of God saying, these are my truths…walk in them and obey Me.
Comments
Post a Comment