Skip to main content

My Awesome Sunday in July

I'm still alive!  :)  I know its been a while.  And I have even thought of some good stuff to post in the past few months, but just haven't gotten it to the computer in time for it to be forgotten.  So now its time again!  Here's a new post for your reading pleasure... 

I had such a sweet time at church this past Sunday that I wanted to share it with you.  It was like a mini revival in my heart and life.  It seemed like I hadn't been to church in a while, but it really hadn't been that long...it just felt like forever.  We had an assembly before life group about the mission trip several had been on a few weeks ago.  It was amazing to see the video they put together and to hear testimonies about what God did on this trip.  Then we dispersed and went to our classes and Trent taught from 2 Chronicles 34.  We talked about how Josiah just got intentional and serious about living for God.  He didn't play around with sin....he removed it!  We were challenged to examine ourselves and see if there was anything in our lives that receives worship besides God.  If so, remove it totally!  Don't just put it aside in case you need it later!  The question was also asked - are we satisfied with just having a relationship or are we really seeking God?  Are we just hearers or doers of the Word?  What a challenge and a wake up!  Well then we went to the 11:11 service and the worship time was AMAZING!  I think the things we talked about in class really opened my eyes and helped me focus more on this worship time.  But also the songs that were chosen and the message really brought everything together.  Here are some of the songs:






These songs together just brought an amazing reminder that Jesus died for me (and for you) and that He loves us so much!  He loves us with a never-ending and never-changing love....and they way I have been living my life is all I can give him???  We live in bondage to those things we don't let go of...but He has already paid the price so we can break free and be in bondage no longer!  He is stronger than our sin, no matter what it is...no matter how big, or how small....no matter how open we are about it or how hidden we keep it.  He is stronger and is available and waiting.   Well then Bro. Russ came and preached from Isaiah 53.  This chapter in the Old Testament is full of Jesus! 

1 Who has believed our message


and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?

2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,

and like a root out of dry ground.

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,

nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

3 He was despised and rejected by mankind,

a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.

Like one from whom people hide their faces

he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

4 Surely he took up our pain

and bore our suffering,

yet we considered him punished by God,

stricken by him, and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,

he was crushed for our iniquities;

the punishment that brought us peace was on him,

and by his wounds we are healed.

6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,

each of us has turned to our own way;

and the LORD has laid on him

the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,

yet he did not open his mouth;

he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,

and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,

so he did not open his mouth.

8 By oppression[a] and judgment he was taken away.

Yet who of his generation protested?

For he was cut off from the land of the living;

for the transgression of my people he was punished.[b]

9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,

and with the rich in his death,

though he had done no violence,

nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the LORD’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,

and though the LORD makes[c] his life an offering for sin,

he will see his offspring and prolong his days,

and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.

11 After he has suffered,

he will see the light of life[d] and be satisfied[e];

by his knowledge[f] my righteous servant will justify many,

and he will bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,[g]

and he will divide the spoils with the strong,[h]

because he poured out his life unto death,

and was numbered with the transgressors.

For he bore the sin of many,

and made intercession for the transgressors.

 
I thank God especially for verses 5 and 6 - here they are again "But he was pierced for our transgressions,

he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all." 

Thank you Jesus! 

The statement was made - "The one who is really in control can't be voted in or out....Jesus!"

Then at the end of the sermon there was an amazing visual that I may never forget.  Out come all these people, wearing signs and chains around their wrists.  On the signs were the many sins that are mentioned in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11.  Then "Jesus" came out and was punished and pierced (just like from Isaiah 53:5&6 above) and as each blow connected the chains began to fall off of those people around the stage.  They began to take their signs of bondage and laid them at the feet of Jesus.  Because of Jesus' birth, life, death and resurrection we can be free from the sins we can so easily become attached to.  Wish you could've seen it.  ;)  It was a great visual...and I am a very visual person. 

Well my awesome day didn't end there!  That night we had a teacher's meeting for the singles department and we were really encouraged to assess our lives and our classes' lives and start being very intentional.  This was such a wake up for me (the whole day) that I have become so involved and focus on life that I am missing so many opportunities.  I am not here for me!  I am here to minister to others.  God will take care of my needs when I am following Him...so why not just follow Him, obey Him and He WILL take care of me and I don't need to worry.  This fall promises to be a very busy time.  With Trent's graduation in May and the uncertainties it brings (as really comes with life in general, but especially then) I need to just be doing what He calls me to do now while I can in this place.  Who knows where we will be years down the line and what opportunities I will have missed if I don't take them now.  Be intentional!  Life gets busy, but make sure to be intentional in that busy-ness.  :)  In the fall I hope to take the seminary wives class on Monday nights, Tuesdays I will be meeting with my discipleship group, Wednesday are Chronological Bible Discipleship class with Mrs. Donna, Thursdays are softball (oh my!)....so it looks busy!  But I am praying that I will be intentional in each of these areas to be outward focused to minister to those around me and to be inward in the sense of soaking up all I can during this time.  God has blessed us with such a great place to live, work, worship and play....I pray we take advantage and use it for His glory.   That's what its all about anyway, right?!? 
Well I hope you are encouraged and up-lighted by the details of my amazing Sunday.  :) 

Comments

  1. What a wonderful writing, I was truly Blessed. Love You, Aunt Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Great is Our God!

As I was driving home from work today, I was listening to the Hillsong CD "A Beautiful Exchange."  I really like one of the songs on the CD, so naturally I turned to it.  Well God really spoke to me and I was overcome with emotions!  So I listened to it again...really soaking up the words.  It was just a great reminder of how Great our God is!  Here are the words to the song - "Forever Reign" You are good, You are good When there's nothing good in me You are love, You are love On display for all to see You are light, You are light When the darkness closes in You are hope, You are hope You have covered all my sin You are peace, You are peace When my fear is crippling You are true, You are true Even in my wandering You are joy, You are joy You're the reason that I sing You are life, You are life, In You death has lost it's sting Oh, I’m running to Your arms, I’m running to Your arms The riches of Your love Will always be enough N...

Learning Experience....Trusting God

Cancer…this is a word that strikes fear in our heart with just an utterance, or even just seeing the word. My dad recently found out that he has very early case of prostate cancer, and so I have felt this fear with this word, really for the first time ever. Honestly, I don’t feel like it has sunk in yet. I am so grateful for the great news that this was caught early enough that it shouldn’t be a big concern, but it also almost masks the fact that he does have cancer, at least in my mind. This is probably a good thing given my tendency to let my human nature have reign and let worry take control. I told Trent, “I don’t want to say ‘my dad has cancer.’” But given the facts that is the reality. I think it also makes it surreal that we are so far away from the situation, so it almost doesn’t seem real. So in going through processing this reality, I of course went through all the human nature questions like “why him,” “what if’s,” and “is this somehow my fault.” But I have been amazed (I gu...

Satisfaction

This morning, Trent and I set off for our trek to Arkansas, the "big town" of Etowah to be exact, where he was preaching. I love to hear Trent preach, so I wanted to share what God spoke to me through him today. His sermon this morning was from the text John 11:17-36, where Jesus goes back to Bethany, where his friend Lazarus had died. He meets with both of Lazarus' sisters Mary and Martha, who are (naturally) grieving over the death of their brother. So, in short, the main message of the sermon was - in times of grief or despair, go to Jesus! Really, in general, if you are in need - go to Jesus! He is the only one who can meet our needs! And ALL of them at that!! --Specifically in this case, Mary and Martha were seeking compassion and completeness. Jesus had that for them...and only Jesus had it for them. They could be around as many people as they could find and still not find the compassion and completeness found in Jesus. Even though we can't fulfill thi...