Skip to main content

Directions from God...

Directions from God….

There are times in life when God gives us specific directions on what, when and where.  Those other times are the spots in life where you aren’t quite sure what to do.  Sure God is speaking…just not at our speed or with enough detail for us.  Aren’t those fun times.  ;)  So I had a discussion with myself tonight and knew it was the next blog topic!  How do you know how to proceed in these times of questions?  Here is what God has laid on my heart…

1)  Know it probably isn’t an overnight answer!  Sure sometimes it is, but often its not (at least in my experience).  We can’t be proactive and guess or do what we want.  Instead we must wait on God to give us clear direction for the next step. 

2)  Sometimes all we may get is the next step…not the next five, or even the next two…just one.  I am reminded of Abraham when God told him to go.  That was all…just “go.”  There were no details about where or what it would be like.  He told him to take one step and then He would show him more.  This type of journey requires lots of faith, lots of growing, and definitely being very close to God.  You have to follow through with all the steps.  What good would it do to take the first two steps with Him and then take steps three through 5 on your own, wherever you want?  Stay strong and follow His footsteps, not wandering off on your own path!

3)  What about those times when you have what seems like roadblocks? You are following His footsteps and BAM! Something “falls through.”  We are going forward with what we know, the step God has reveal and then we run into what seems like a roadblock or a dead end.  Instead of this being a roadblock, it’s really just a speed bump!  These are the times when we often get great life lessons.  I think of these speed bumps as being kind of like the altars they would build in the Old Testament.  They would go through some event or time period that God worked and got them through and they would build an altar to remember.  It was forever a reminder of what God had done.    The lessons we learn and the stuff we go through during the speed bumps should be something we carry with us forever…never again the same…stronger and close to the God who got us through!

4)  So what happens after the speed bump??  Well, as simple as it sounds.  You wait on the next instruction from God.  Go back to number two…take it step by step….leaning on the promises of God and the lessons you have learned.  He will take you deeper and deeper in the knowledge of Him as you get deeper and deeper into His will.  We get so fast and determined in our life that we sometimes get too far ahead of God!  (This kind of goes in with number three above, but I just thought of it so I am leaving it in number 4.)  J So after the speed bump experience, regroup, process, and get through any emotions that may arise and then seek God for the next step.  Sure we need to seek Him through the emotions and whatever arise from the speed bump.  But there needs to be some time to let our emotions take course.  Its normally not a good idea to make any movement or decisions during an emotional time as we don’t always think clearly.  I am a girl, so emotions happen at lot…and from my experience if I would have make decisions based on my thoughts in the middle of an emotional time I would have regretted it.  So let all those pass and then start asking God to show you the next step.  It’s hard to get back going again, but we have to get back on the bike and ride again after we fall off! 

Psalm 73:21-28

“When I became embittered and my innermost being was wounded, 22 I was stupid and didn’t understand; I was an unthinking animal toward You. 23 Yet I am always with You; You hold my right hand. 24 You guide me with Your counsel, and afterward You will take me up in glory. 25 Who do I have in heaven but You? And I desire nothing on earth but You. 26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart, my portion forever. 27 Those far from You will certainly perish; You destroy all who are unfaithful to You. 28 But as for me, God’s presence is my good. I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, so I can tell about all You do.”



Genesis 12:1-4a

“The LORD had said to Abram, ‘Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.  2I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.’ 4 So Abram went, as the LORD had told him…”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Great is Our God!

As I was driving home from work today, I was listening to the Hillsong CD "A Beautiful Exchange."  I really like one of the songs on the CD, so naturally I turned to it.  Well God really spoke to me and I was overcome with emotions!  So I listened to it again...really soaking up the words.  It was just a great reminder of how Great our God is!  Here are the words to the song - "Forever Reign" You are good, You are good When there's nothing good in me You are love, You are love On display for all to see You are light, You are light When the darkness closes in You are hope, You are hope You have covered all my sin You are peace, You are peace When my fear is crippling You are true, You are true Even in my wandering You are joy, You are joy You're the reason that I sing You are life, You are life, In You death has lost it's sting Oh, I’m running to Your arms, I’m running to Your arms The riches of Your love Will always be enough N...

Learning Experience....Trusting God

Cancer…this is a word that strikes fear in our heart with just an utterance, or even just seeing the word. My dad recently found out that he has very early case of prostate cancer, and so I have felt this fear with this word, really for the first time ever. Honestly, I don’t feel like it has sunk in yet. I am so grateful for the great news that this was caught early enough that it shouldn’t be a big concern, but it also almost masks the fact that he does have cancer, at least in my mind. This is probably a good thing given my tendency to let my human nature have reign and let worry take control. I told Trent, “I don’t want to say ‘my dad has cancer.’” But given the facts that is the reality. I think it also makes it surreal that we are so far away from the situation, so it almost doesn’t seem real. So in going through processing this reality, I of course went through all the human nature questions like “why him,” “what if’s,” and “is this somehow my fault.” But I have been amazed (I gu...

Satisfaction

This morning, Trent and I set off for our trek to Arkansas, the "big town" of Etowah to be exact, where he was preaching. I love to hear Trent preach, so I wanted to share what God spoke to me through him today. His sermon this morning was from the text John 11:17-36, where Jesus goes back to Bethany, where his friend Lazarus had died. He meets with both of Lazarus' sisters Mary and Martha, who are (naturally) grieving over the death of their brother. So, in short, the main message of the sermon was - in times of grief or despair, go to Jesus! Really, in general, if you are in need - go to Jesus! He is the only one who can meet our needs! And ALL of them at that!! --Specifically in this case, Mary and Martha were seeking compassion and completeness. Jesus had that for them...and only Jesus had it for them. They could be around as many people as they could find and still not find the compassion and completeness found in Jesus. Even though we can't fulfill thi...