We all have those “turning points” in our life. When something happens (big or small) and
changes the rest of your life. Can be
good or it can be bad. Wednesday night
at church we were going through Matthew 6:10 and it reminded me of one of those
time in my life.
My uncle was in the hospital in Panama City. He had been there a while, and he hadn’t been himself since he had gotten there. The hospital was basically across the street from my office where I was working at the time. I was working in Panama City and we lived in Greenwood, so my commute was about an hour and a half one way each day (I loved my job!). So I would go to the hospital during my lunch break to see my family in the waiting room and we would take turns seeing my uncle. One particular day I was about 2/3 of my way home from work and I was talking to my mom on the phone (this was a normal occurrence). She was at the hospital and at that moment I was talking to her something happened and she had to get off the phone. She wouldn’t tell me what…this worried me. Up until this point my prayers had consisted of things like “Lord, heal him! Bring him back to us fully! You will be glorified in that, I promise! I will praise you for healing him!” Well on this day, my heart changed. God had been working. As soon as my mom called me back and told me what happened, I came to a turning point. My uncle had coded and they thought they had lost him. But he came back, at least physically. His heart was beating again in his weak and sick body. After talking with my mom and I got off the phone, my heart cry was “Lord, just let your will be done!” I remember speaking audibly to God on that drive home. I think part of it was me letting go since I was tired and worn out from all the worry and hurt from seeing him like that. But God was moving…He was changing my heart. My prayers changed to “Lord if it’s your will for him to come home to you, let it be. I can’t be selfish anymore. I want him here healthy so bad to spend more time with him, but his body is going through so much and I don’t know what his mind is going through. Lord let your will be done and you WILL receive glory through that…you always do. That’s your plan…receive glory through our lives.” Since then, I have moments of selfishness sure, but my heart often corrects my mind…His will, not mine.
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.” – Isaiah 55:8-9
We are continually growing more and more like God, but we are still human. We still have a human heart and mind. We want what we want when we want it (that’s a lot of w’s!!) . God is walking along with us, guiding us and nudging us…but a lot of times we just don’t listen to Him. Praise Him for those time when you hear Him and keep spending time with Him each day so that these times become more and more. We can’t live this life alone…we must have His guidance…at least not if we want the best life we can live. God’s will isn’t just about Him getting His way. It’s about the best. God’s will and way is the best. He wants and knows what’s best for us. He can see the whole picture of our life and of everyone else’s life. We can only we want is right in front of us…and sometimes (especially us women) we can’t even see all of that because of our emotions! Trust Him, walk with Him, and pray for His will to truly be done in your life. Pray that He helps you to come to that place in your life where your wants become the same as His.
Also, when you go through difficult times, remember that God has a plan. I know you have probably heard that a million times and will hear it a thousand more, but it’s true. He does have a plan. He had a plan for me in my uncle’s sickness…for me to give it all to Him. He may have been working in other people’s lives difficult during my uncle’s sickness, but I believe that was His plan for me.
My uncle was in the hospital in Panama City. He had been there a while, and he hadn’t been himself since he had gotten there. The hospital was basically across the street from my office where I was working at the time. I was working in Panama City and we lived in Greenwood, so my commute was about an hour and a half one way each day (I loved my job!). So I would go to the hospital during my lunch break to see my family in the waiting room and we would take turns seeing my uncle. One particular day I was about 2/3 of my way home from work and I was talking to my mom on the phone (this was a normal occurrence). She was at the hospital and at that moment I was talking to her something happened and she had to get off the phone. She wouldn’t tell me what…this worried me. Up until this point my prayers had consisted of things like “Lord, heal him! Bring him back to us fully! You will be glorified in that, I promise! I will praise you for healing him!” Well on this day, my heart changed. God had been working. As soon as my mom called me back and told me what happened, I came to a turning point. My uncle had coded and they thought they had lost him. But he came back, at least physically. His heart was beating again in his weak and sick body. After talking with my mom and I got off the phone, my heart cry was “Lord, just let your will be done!” I remember speaking audibly to God on that drive home. I think part of it was me letting go since I was tired and worn out from all the worry and hurt from seeing him like that. But God was moving…He was changing my heart. My prayers changed to “Lord if it’s your will for him to come home to you, let it be. I can’t be selfish anymore. I want him here healthy so bad to spend more time with him, but his body is going through so much and I don’t know what his mind is going through. Lord let your will be done and you WILL receive glory through that…you always do. That’s your plan…receive glory through our lives.” Since then, I have moments of selfishness sure, but my heart often corrects my mind…His will, not mine.
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.” – Isaiah 55:8-9
We are continually growing more and more like God, but we are still human. We still have a human heart and mind. We want what we want when we want it (that’s a lot of w’s!!) . God is walking along with us, guiding us and nudging us…but a lot of times we just don’t listen to Him. Praise Him for those time when you hear Him and keep spending time with Him each day so that these times become more and more. We can’t live this life alone…we must have His guidance…at least not if we want the best life we can live. God’s will isn’t just about Him getting His way. It’s about the best. God’s will and way is the best. He wants and knows what’s best for us. He can see the whole picture of our life and of everyone else’s life. We can only we want is right in front of us…and sometimes (especially us women) we can’t even see all of that because of our emotions! Trust Him, walk with Him, and pray for His will to truly be done in your life. Pray that He helps you to come to that place in your life where your wants become the same as His.
Also, when you go through difficult times, remember that God has a plan. I know you have probably heard that a million times and will hear it a thousand more, but it’s true. He does have a plan. He had a plan for me in my uncle’s sickness…for me to give it all to Him. He may have been working in other people’s lives difficult during my uncle’s sickness, but I believe that was His plan for me.
“Your will be done…”
So amazing to see the beautiful young woman of God that you have grown to be Jennifer. I enjoyed reading today and will be reading more often!
ReplyDeleteLove ya!
Lisa