Skip to main content

"Pattern Your Lives After Mine..."


As I have been reading over the past 2 days I have noticed a theme: God’s people turning away from Him. 
Isaiah 65:1-2 “I was ready to respond, but no one asked for help. I was ready to be found, but no one was looking for me. I said, ‘Here I am, here I am!’ to a nation that did not call on my name. All day long I opened my arms to a rebellious people. But they follow their own evil paths and their own crooked schemes.”
Isaiah 66:4b “For when I called, they did not answer. When I spoke, they did not listen.
They deliberately sinned before my very eyes and chose to do what they know I despise.”
I am reminded and feel the urgency of the need for His people to turn back to Him.  How can we reach a world that is dying without Him when they can’t see Him in us?  Are we stumbling blocks or stepping stones? It’s so easy to get in a rut and start living for me, me, me.  The enemy is constantly luring us to be selfish and slowly creep away from God’s presence.  He does it slowly so we don’t even notice.  He distracts us…it’s kind of like when you are in the room with someone and the TV is on and you can carry on a conversation forever and then notice that the other person isn’t even listening.  They are focused on the TV and don’t even hear you.  We are too often that person that isn’t hearing when God is talking...we are too distracted and focused on other things.  Then, when you finally realize what has happened it’s so hard to get back to where you were.  It’s like the saying: “one step forward and two steps back.”  Pray constantly for the power to overcome Satan and his schemes.  If we aren’t there to lead the lost to Christ, who is? 

In Philippians 3:17 Paul says “Dear brothers and sisters, pattern your lives after mine, and learn from those who follow our example.  Do we really want people to patter their lives after ours?  Really think about that!  When I do some self evaluation, the idea of someone following after me is a bit scary.  Sure I may look like I have it all together on the outside (at least most of the time, right!?!) but there are plenty of little things that, if I am really honest with myself and God, aren’t pleasing Him.  Not to throw myself under the bus, but maybe I can be an example….like when I have attitude problems, or when I don’t respect my husband as I should or don’t allow him to lead our home.  These all seem like harmless and petty things but they are examples of me living outside of the will of God.  These pull me from the close fellowship with God.  Sure I’m still saved and have a relationship but it’s weakened.  He hasn’t gone anywhere, but I each time I fall I am taking a step back from Him.  When I don’t spend daily time with Him, being still before Him letting Him speak and me listening, that relationship is weakened.  I could go weeks without having my quiet time and feel fine, for the most part, and I would even have more “me time.”  But then I would finally realize what was happening and have to crawl my way back to that close relationship again.  There is nothing better in this world than have a close, real, intimate relationship with Jesus Christ!  So why do we (I included) so often settle for what is not what is best for us?  I can’t be selfish and be in the will of God at the same time.   

Isaiah 55:8 “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the LORD. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.”

Jeremiah 17:9 “The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?”

So what do we do?  We purposefully make our relationship with God the most important thing in our life, not matter what we have to cut out of our day.  He comes first.  Then, we don’t let anything come between us and Him.  The enemy will try and lure us out and do something else, but don’t give in.  Discipline yourself.  As hard as it is, spend some time just being quiet before God.  Being still and quiet are not two of my strong points so yes it’s hard!  But it’s important.  Sometimes I am amazed at what encouragement I get when I spend time in His presence.  I shouldn’t be amazed since He does it all the time, but I am.  Go before God expectantly.  If you just mosey on in to your quiet time and quickly read your daily scripture and put it away you probably won’t get much or won’t have any quality time with God.  Come before Him expecting to hear from Him and expecting to be blessed and give Him your all.  It’s not for a lost cause, I promise.  When all comes against you stay committed.  When discouraged, pray!  Without ceasing even!  Don’t try and handle it all on your own…because you can’t do it.  I know, I have tried!  When a need or desire or hurt comes into your life, stop and take time to tell God about it.  Yes He knows before we know, but you need to let Him know that you are dependent on Him and need His help and guidance. 

Psalm 73:21-26 “Then I realized that my heart was bitter, and I was all torn up inside.  22 I was so foolish and ignorant—I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you. 23 Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand.  24 You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. 25 Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. 26 My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak,
but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever.”

Be committed and stay committed because “For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ. 19 They are headed for destruction. Their god is their appetite, they brag about shameful things, and they think only about this life here on earth. 20 But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior21(Philippians 3:18-20).  Lead them to Christ, not toward you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Great is Our God!

As I was driving home from work today, I was listening to the Hillsong CD "A Beautiful Exchange."  I really like one of the songs on the CD, so naturally I turned to it.  Well God really spoke to me and I was overcome with emotions!  So I listened to it again...really soaking up the words.  It was just a great reminder of how Great our God is!  Here are the words to the song - "Forever Reign" You are good, You are good When there's nothing good in me You are love, You are love On display for all to see You are light, You are light When the darkness closes in You are hope, You are hope You have covered all my sin You are peace, You are peace When my fear is crippling You are true, You are true Even in my wandering You are joy, You are joy You're the reason that I sing You are life, You are life, In You death has lost it's sting Oh, I’m running to Your arms, I’m running to Your arms The riches of Your love Will always be enough N...

Learning Experience....Trusting God

Cancer…this is a word that strikes fear in our heart with just an utterance, or even just seeing the word. My dad recently found out that he has very early case of prostate cancer, and so I have felt this fear with this word, really for the first time ever. Honestly, I don’t feel like it has sunk in yet. I am so grateful for the great news that this was caught early enough that it shouldn’t be a big concern, but it also almost masks the fact that he does have cancer, at least in my mind. This is probably a good thing given my tendency to let my human nature have reign and let worry take control. I told Trent, “I don’t want to say ‘my dad has cancer.’” But given the facts that is the reality. I think it also makes it surreal that we are so far away from the situation, so it almost doesn’t seem real. So in going through processing this reality, I of course went through all the human nature questions like “why him,” “what if’s,” and “is this somehow my fault.” But I have been amazed (I gu...

Satisfaction

This morning, Trent and I set off for our trek to Arkansas, the "big town" of Etowah to be exact, where he was preaching. I love to hear Trent preach, so I wanted to share what God spoke to me through him today. His sermon this morning was from the text John 11:17-36, where Jesus goes back to Bethany, where his friend Lazarus had died. He meets with both of Lazarus' sisters Mary and Martha, who are (naturally) grieving over the death of their brother. So, in short, the main message of the sermon was - in times of grief or despair, go to Jesus! Really, in general, if you are in need - go to Jesus! He is the only one who can meet our needs! And ALL of them at that!! --Specifically in this case, Mary and Martha were seeking compassion and completeness. Jesus had that for them...and only Jesus had it for them. They could be around as many people as they could find and still not find the compassion and completeness found in Jesus. Even though we can't fulfill thi...