I have been seeing/reading a lot of birth stories
recently. I have never thought about
writing one myself…I guess I don’t really have it in my mind that I really did
have a baby since I had a C section. But
I really did give birth! I don’t think I
should think anything less of myself because we chose to go this route (with
the advice of my dr of course). So here
it goes…a birth story from a different perspective. J
Pregnancy was great! I felt sick in the beginning but never
actually got sick. The worst part was
finding out before Christmas, but waiting until February to tell anyone we were
expecting. Christmas was interesting
with the family to say the least. It’s
hard to keep such a great thing a secret, but we did! Here was our annoucement of who would be Griffin Gann! :)
All went well and each
appointment the dr said everything was going great. Later in the pregnancy I began to ask if I
needed to prepare for an early delivery due to the size of the baby or anything
she could tell. She told me not to
worry, that the chances of having a first baby early were small and that I
would have a small baby. At my last
ultrasound appointment, the ultrasound tech sounded concerned and tried forever
to get good measurements. But they just
weren’t making sense. His head measured
right on track but his abdomen was measuring large, I think it was measuring
like a baby at 40 weeks. So we scheduled
another ultrasound with a more experienced tech just to be sure. Sure enough, at the next appointment, the
tech said the same thing. We went into
the room and waited for the dr, amazed at what we had just heard. He was already measuring over 8 lbs. The dr came in flabbergasted and said she
wasn’t sure where I was hiding such a big baby.
This kind of made me feel good, but I felt huge! So she laid out our options at this point.
1)
Wait and see what happens. If I went into labor and he was too big to
come out on his own, they could “help” him come out. She assured me she felt confident she could
make it happen, but it might involve having to break bones. But if that didn’t work or we decided at the
last minute we could rush to a c-section.
2)
Schedule a C Section unless he decides to come
naturally before then. We could still
decide to have him naturally if I went into labor before the schedule C section
or we could go ahead and do a c section as soon as labor started.
Since he was measuring so big in his mid
section, the dr explained, that probably meant that his shoulders were quite
large. She told us that women have big
babies everyday and it goes great, but big shoulders don’t fit in the equation
very well with my type of bone structure (not very wide hips). She also explained to us that she was very
good at her job but the risks with having a big baby naturally could be nerve
damage. Trying to help the baby out
could involve pulling his neck/stretching it away from the body to make room
(not sure how to explain what she said exactly) and that could cause nerve
damage in the neck which has bad side affects.
And I didn’t like the sound of them having to break his collar bone or
arm to deliver him.
Trent and I had discussed what we wanted to
do before the dr came in and we heard all this and we were pretty open
minded. My mom had two C sections and so
I wasn’t against the idea, but I had it in my mind to try and handle
labor. But with the options we now had,
we both thought it was best to just schedule the C section. We both felt that if God really wanted us to
have this baby naturally I would go into labor earlier and if would
happen. (I prayed for this everyday
those few weeks before the scheduled C section and felt a peace in our
decision). Trent’s question for the dr
before we made the final decision involved me (how sweet!). What were my risks, what would recovery be
like and what about future pregnancies and future births. The dr assured us that the risks really
weren’t many more than a natural birth.
There were more costs of course and recovery was longer, but that it
really wasn’t that bad. She had gone
through two C sections and had a fairly quick recovery. She also told us that having more babies
later on wouldn’t be a problem, that the risks weren’t much higher (again) than
a natural birth and that their practice does require the future births to be C
sections as well. They don’t allow natural
delivery after a c section because of the risks that go along with it. So with all this information and us coming
into the appointment having prayed for guidance, we decided to schedule the C
section. It was kind of a relief to me,
just to know when it was going to happen.
Of course there was still the possibility of going into labor early, but
the chance of that happening with a first baby is small.
Those next few weeks went by slowly it
seemed. I was so ready to meet this
little big boy! We never really got a
good picture of his face from the ultrasounds (that poor tech tried so
hard!). He was just being stubborn I
guess, but now we take lots of pictures!
J
So I really didn’t have a clue what he would look like.
So the day finally came – August 23 (due
date was August 28). I never felt any
real contractions leading up to that day so I had no scares. We had to be at the hospital early that
morning, but didn’t get called back for like two hours. They had some ladies come in that were
clearly in labor and couldn’t wait, so I was okay that they went in before
me. We finally got called back and they
got we ready to go to the operating room.
The doctor came in and got our estimates on his weight. I don’t remember what we said, but they were
all 9 lbs or smaller. I think the dr’s
guessed 9 lbs. They walked me back to
the operating room and said Trent would come in just before they took Griffin
out. I was very nervous, but also felt
at peace about it. It was a strange feeling. All the nurses and dr’s were great. The anesthesiologist was my favorite. He as a young guy about my age and his job
was to give me drugs and keep me from feeling anything and keep me feeling
good. He was supposed to talk to me the entire
time, telling me what was happening, what I would be feeling and that it was
normal. This was great for me, because I
tend to worry if I don’t know why I am feeling something. The hardest part was to relax and bend over
for the epidural/spinal (I’m not really sure which I got…they explained the
difference but I don’t remember).
Griffin was kicking up a storm and it was very hard to bend over and
hunch my back with him kicking me in the ribs.
I kept thinking, just hold on little buddy, you are fixing to come out
of there and have some more room! So
they finally got that in and quickly laid me down on the table. I can remember thinking the entire time,
“this is an operating room? It seems so
relaxed and open and not what I see on TV.” Haha! They started cutting me open and I was about
to panic because Trent wasn’t in the room.
He finally came in, all dressed in the garb, and I was relieved to see
him. Not too much longer I heard the
dr’s say something like, ok we are going to have to push him out so you will
feel a lot of pressure. He must have
been warm and comfortable in there. So
one dr pulled and the other dr pushed from the top of my belly. It was such a weird feeling! This point seems very blurry for me. I guess lots of emotions were going on and a
lot was going on with my body even though I wasn’t having to work hard like in
labor to push him out. I heard him cry
and the dr said something along the lines of “oh my, he’s definitely not going
to be just 9 lbs.” It didn’t hit me
until much later what she had actually said.
They took him over to the table to clean up and weigh and Trent went
over to watch, take pictures and talk with his baby boy. I was so glad he was there. I couldn’t see anything that was happening
because of the divider that they had put up.
I finally got them to move it just a little so I could see what they
were doing. There was my boy! I heard them say he was 10 lbs 4 ounces and
there was a lot of happy and excited voices, but again it didn’t really
register that he was 10 lbs yet.
They
finally brought Griffin over and put him in front of my face so I could see
him. It was quite awkward because he was
very close to my face. The divider
didn’t give much room at all. So I can
remember feeling like, I love this baby boy and love seeing him but you have
got to get him out of my face! He’s too
close! I couldn’t hold him or reach out
and touch him because my arms were out on the table. I can’t remember if they were tied down or
not but I couldn’t move them or didn’t feel like I should (I don’t know…its all
a little blurry now).
My dr had to leave to go to other
appointments since we started late, but another dr would be closing me up. If you are squeamish and don’t want details,
don’t read the next part! It was really
funny to me hearing the other dr when they took out the placenta. He said something like, wow look at this
placenta. It’s very healthy. He sounded really impressed and I felt proud
for some reason. Haha! It did make me happy to hear that what had
taken care of my baby for so long was healthy.
The anesthesiologist told me I might start to feel nauseous and get a
headache and to let him know if this happened.
So anyway he started closing me up and they took Trent and Griffin out
to the recovery room to wait for me. This
was my least favorite part of the whole experience. I was by myself all of a sudden and started
to get scared. But I kept praying and
thinking it would be over soon. I
started to feel nauseous and a headache and told the anesthesiologist and he
gave me some medicine and it helped very fast. They got me all sewed up and wheeled me to
recovery. The elevator was quite a rough
ride, just because it made me feel really sick.
In recovery they let me hold him finally! He was perfect and amazing. I couldn’t believe that big boy was in my
belly! They kept checking both of our
temps and vitals and that would continue over the next couple days. But we never had any issues, thank the
Lord! I was very sleepy and over the
next 3 days feel in and out of sleep, even while people were talking to
me. They basically gave us the option of
going home after the second day since everything was going well, but said we
could stay the third day if we wanted. I
opted to stay. I felt more comfortable
there in the hospital where I had help in case something did go wrong. Our hospital doesn’t have a nursery for
newborns, unless they are sick or something like that. So the baby stays in the room with the mom
the entire time unless they take them for tests or procedures. So we had plenty of practice taking care of
him before we left, but I still wanted the extra day in the hospital. It was probably more for me rather than
Griffin. Here is a funny story about
walking the hallways in the hospital – I saw a scale in the hallway walking one
day. I asked if I could use it, just to
see how much I had lost. I mean, I had a
10 lb baby so I should have lost a lot!
Well I stepped on the scale and to my amazement I hadn’t lost any
weight! I finally figured out (when I
got home) how swollen I was and how much fluids they had given me.
We went home when Griffin was 3 days
old. My mom stayed with us for a few
weeks so I could have help when Trent went back to work (he took the first week
off of work). She was a great help, doing
housework and such. Our wonderful
church family provided us with dinner for what seemed like a couple weeks, but
I can’t remember exactly how long it was now.
It was such a big help! And they
are wonderful cooks, so we had some good food!
Those first few weeks involved not much sleep and a lot of figuring this
new little boy out. But I loved it. I knew motherhood would be amazing but you
really can’t imagine what it is actually like.
As far as my recovery from the C Section, the first week was rough. This was mostly because I tend to worry about
things way too much. So I was constantly
worried about pulling my stitches or something. I also had a lot of swelling the first two
weeks. Some of this was left over from
being pregnant and some of it was from the fluids they gave me in the
hospital. This worried me at time
too. My poor feet were huge! I finally started wearing Trent’s Nike’s to
go out for a walk. I was trying to walk
as much as possible but not over do it.
Finally, after exactly two week after the C section, the swelling was
almost completely gone! I felt amazing
then! I kept reminding myself to take
it easy though. By the time Griffin was
4 weeks old I felt pretty much like my normal self. Technically, with a C Section you have 8
weeks to recover. But my doctor had told
me she was back to normally by 4 weeks but I guess it just depends on the
person. I was very glad to have
recovered quickly. I still wasn’t back
to getting my full night of sleep but we were starting to get good naps during
the day. I think by around 8 weeks old
Griffin was sleeping through the night, maybe 11-5. Then he started sleeping about 11-7 and for a
few months now its been more like 11-8 or 9.
I love that he is more of a night owl than a morning person. Trent and I both are night owls so it works
out well. Of course, I could have used
the push to become a morning person, but I am very happy to have a baby like
us. J
We are blessed! Our little lineman is almost 6 months old, I'm guessing around 20-23 lbs (we go to the dr next week for his 6 month check up and will find out officially) and wearing 9 lbs clothes but getting close to wearing 12 month clothes. He is growing up so fast! Its nice that he is sitting up on his own but its also a little bittersweet. I keep telling myself to enjoy each day, relax and soak up this stage in his life. He is learning more and more everyday and we are loving him more and more every day. God is good!



Comments
Post a Comment