Skip to main content

Learning to Be Content

I am a perfectionist…I always have been. Some days I feel I always will be, no matter have often I fail!  It’s a hard thing to shake.  When I accepted Jesus as Savior and Lord some 15 years ago, I remember the relief it was to give up trying to be perfect for everyone.  I don’t need to perfect, I learned and accepted.  I just needed to trust in my Jesus who saved me of my sin and do my best at what He calls me to.  But somehow I keep getting back into the rut of perfectionism.  Each stage of my life has seen this rut, multiple times!  In all honesty, now that I am a mom and a homeowner I feel that it has become the worst it has ever been.  Our technology of today certainly doesn’t help things.  First there is Facebook and Instagram.  When used properly these are great resources to keep up with family and friends around the world (especially for an introvert, like me!).  But when you constantly compare yourself to everyone you see, some times subconsciously, it becomes a hindrance.  Then of course there is Pinterest.  Again, it’s a great resource for amazing ideas and things to help with life when used properly.  But when it is not used with the right attitude and prospective it can be a pit of discontentment.  I constantly find myself having to put it away for a while to get back to enjoying what I have, instead of longing for what I think I want but cannot have, at least for now.  I have a great home that God has provided.  It may not be perfect, but it is just what we need.  It doesn’t look like a magazine or pictures I see on Pinterest, but it is a great home to spend time with my family and friends and raise my sweet boy, and also work from home in!  It fits all our needs! 
Next area of discontentment - that sweet boy I previously mentioned.  He is amazing!  But I too often get caught up in my plans/schedule instead of just enjoying him.  He is only going to be this age once and I need to enjoy it.  He has grown so quickly and I don’t want to waste this time.  It’s so easy to look track of what is most important.  I need reminders so often!  This world is so distracting. 

Well, I must close now because that sweet little boy is now up from his nap and wants to play, so I will choose to enjoy this time! 

Let’s give up on being discontent and really enjoy what God has already blessed us with.  (Remind me of this often please!)

 “I don’t say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.  I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content—whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through Him[b] who strengthens me.”  - Philippians 4:11-13


Also, before I officially close this post that has been on my mind lately…I won a book this week from missionalmotherhood.com!    Guess what that book is??  It’s called “Breaking Up With Perfect!” by Amy Carroll.  The day before I won the book Trent and I had been talking about my need to let go and quit trying to make everything perfect, because it’s impossible and my expectations are too high and get crushed nearly every time!  God knows just want we need and sends us things from time to time to remind us of that.  Thanks missionalmotherhood.com for allowing God to use you and being a great resource for us moms!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Great is Our God!

As I was driving home from work today, I was listening to the Hillsong CD "A Beautiful Exchange."  I really like one of the songs on the CD, so naturally I turned to it.  Well God really spoke to me and I was overcome with emotions!  So I listened to it again...really soaking up the words.  It was just a great reminder of how Great our God is!  Here are the words to the song - "Forever Reign" You are good, You are good When there's nothing good in me You are love, You are love On display for all to see You are light, You are light When the darkness closes in You are hope, You are hope You have covered all my sin You are peace, You are peace When my fear is crippling You are true, You are true Even in my wandering You are joy, You are joy You're the reason that I sing You are life, You are life, In You death has lost it's sting Oh, I’m running to Your arms, I’m running to Your arms The riches of Your love Will always be enough N...

Learning Experience....Trusting God

Cancer…this is a word that strikes fear in our heart with just an utterance, or even just seeing the word. My dad recently found out that he has very early case of prostate cancer, and so I have felt this fear with this word, really for the first time ever. Honestly, I don’t feel like it has sunk in yet. I am so grateful for the great news that this was caught early enough that it shouldn’t be a big concern, but it also almost masks the fact that he does have cancer, at least in my mind. This is probably a good thing given my tendency to let my human nature have reign and let worry take control. I told Trent, “I don’t want to say ‘my dad has cancer.’” But given the facts that is the reality. I think it also makes it surreal that we are so far away from the situation, so it almost doesn’t seem real. So in going through processing this reality, I of course went through all the human nature questions like “why him,” “what if’s,” and “is this somehow my fault.” But I have been amazed (I gu...

Satisfaction

This morning, Trent and I set off for our trek to Arkansas, the "big town" of Etowah to be exact, where he was preaching. I love to hear Trent preach, so I wanted to share what God spoke to me through him today. His sermon this morning was from the text John 11:17-36, where Jesus goes back to Bethany, where his friend Lazarus had died. He meets with both of Lazarus' sisters Mary and Martha, who are (naturally) grieving over the death of their brother. So, in short, the main message of the sermon was - in times of grief or despair, go to Jesus! Really, in general, if you are in need - go to Jesus! He is the only one who can meet our needs! And ALL of them at that!! --Specifically in this case, Mary and Martha were seeking compassion and completeness. Jesus had that for them...and only Jesus had it for them. They could be around as many people as they could find and still not find the compassion and completeness found in Jesus. Even though we can't fulfill thi...