Skip to main content

Listening to God's still small voice above all the noise

“Protect me, God, for I take refuge in you. I said to the Lord, “You are my Lord; I have nothing good besides you.” As for the holy people who are in the land, they are the noble ones. All my delight is in them. The sorrows of those who take another god for themselves will multiply; I will not pour out their drink offerings of blood, and I will not speak their names with my lips. Lord, you are my portion and my cup of blessing; you hold my future. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. I will bless the Lord who counsels me — even at night when my thoughts trouble me. I always let the Lord guide me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my whole being rejoices; my body also rests securely. For you will not abandon me to Sheol; you will not allow your faithful one to see decay. You reveal the path of life to me; in your presence is abundant joy; at your right hand are eternal pleasures.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭16:1-11‬ ‭CSB‬‬ (emphasis added)

I haven't posted in a LONG time, but I had a "God moment" this morning and felt led to share.  
I got up this morning and before I was even fully awake I was having an argument in my mind. I'm not the only one who does that right? Where you play both sides of the conversation and it's always very exaggerated and extreme? Anyway it was basically about staying up to late and not feeling like we had enough family time the day before and that sort of thing. Well one particular line of this argument in my mind went something like "at the end of the day, when all the daily tasks are done that have to get done, all we get are the extras. That's not fair."
Then before I even had time to argue the other side of that, God reminded me..."But that's what you are giving me..."
😳
I couldn't argue with that. There was nothing to say except, "you are right Lord. Please forgive me for only giving you my leftovers."
Now the first argument that was playing out in my head was exaggerated and silly and probably selfish. It probably came from my staying up to late and life just being so busy-both of us are working, Trent is working on his project to finish up his doctoral program, we have a 4 year old in school half a day, we have a 4 month old, and I started as a Beachbody coach recently trying to help people and give accountability (and stay accountable myself). It's a lot! And I know it's just a season, but it's still hard. My fear lately is that we'll get used to life in this season and not go back to our "normal" once this season is over...anyway that first argument was one that I was playing in my mind and it became one of those things that you realize should never come out your mouth because it's silly and just uncalled for. But, God used that opportunity to speak to my heart. It stung. I had no come backs. I sulked. This happened after Trent had already taken Griffin to school and was at work and Deacon (4 month old) was still asleep (oddly), so I thought "I need to sit down and read my Bible right now!"  So I did.  I started with a devotional from the She Works His Way app and I knew that wasn't going to cut it today. So I went back and read all of Psalm 16.  I added some bold to the above, but there was so much more I was soaking up this morning.

First, the verse that says I ALWAYS let the Lord guide me. How many people can say that in all honesty?? We should ALWAYS but it's hard. We want to be in control and go with what we can physically see instead of trusting God and letting Him guide each of our steps.
The next section talks about therefore, because I let Him guide me, I rest securely. Wow...how often do we not rest securely, with everything in the world on our mind? When instead we could be letting Him guide our every step and rest securely in Him. The last one that stuck out to me is the fact that in His presence there is joy, abundant joy. Spend time with Him, go where He leads, and soak up His presence....there is JOY there! After reading these verses I think, "why would I choose anything else??" But the devil is prowling and enticing us to follow our own path and our own desires. That's who was working on me this morning in my initial arguments I was having. He wanted me to start off my morning bad and be in a bad mood today, focusing on the negative. But I heard that still small voice above it all and heard Gods voice. And I'm so glad.  Choose today to let God lead, rest securely in Him and have His joy! 

Also while we are on the subject of letting God lead our steps and let him be in control...
Check out the album Followers from Tenth Avenue North. It's been my jam lately. So much truth. I was thinking today have much I take Christian music for granted.  My favorites from this album all came on in a row and there is so much to soak up and encourage me in these songs. My favorites are "One Thing" and "Control (Somehow You Want Me)"...but they are all great! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Great is Our God!

As I was driving home from work today, I was listening to the Hillsong CD "A Beautiful Exchange."  I really like one of the songs on the CD, so naturally I turned to it.  Well God really spoke to me and I was overcome with emotions!  So I listened to it again...really soaking up the words.  It was just a great reminder of how Great our God is!  Here are the words to the song - "Forever Reign" You are good, You are good When there's nothing good in me You are love, You are love On display for all to see You are light, You are light When the darkness closes in You are hope, You are hope You have covered all my sin You are peace, You are peace When my fear is crippling You are true, You are true Even in my wandering You are joy, You are joy You're the reason that I sing You are life, You are life, In You death has lost it's sting Oh, I’m running to Your arms, I’m running to Your arms The riches of Your love Will always be enough N...

Learning Experience....Trusting God

Cancer…this is a word that strikes fear in our heart with just an utterance, or even just seeing the word. My dad recently found out that he has very early case of prostate cancer, and so I have felt this fear with this word, really for the first time ever. Honestly, I don’t feel like it has sunk in yet. I am so grateful for the great news that this was caught early enough that it shouldn’t be a big concern, but it also almost masks the fact that he does have cancer, at least in my mind. This is probably a good thing given my tendency to let my human nature have reign and let worry take control. I told Trent, “I don’t want to say ‘my dad has cancer.’” But given the facts that is the reality. I think it also makes it surreal that we are so far away from the situation, so it almost doesn’t seem real. So in going through processing this reality, I of course went through all the human nature questions like “why him,” “what if’s,” and “is this somehow my fault.” But I have been amazed (I gu...

Satisfaction

This morning, Trent and I set off for our trek to Arkansas, the "big town" of Etowah to be exact, where he was preaching. I love to hear Trent preach, so I wanted to share what God spoke to me through him today. His sermon this morning was from the text John 11:17-36, where Jesus goes back to Bethany, where his friend Lazarus had died. He meets with both of Lazarus' sisters Mary and Martha, who are (naturally) grieving over the death of their brother. So, in short, the main message of the sermon was - in times of grief or despair, go to Jesus! Really, in general, if you are in need - go to Jesus! He is the only one who can meet our needs! And ALL of them at that!! --Specifically in this case, Mary and Martha were seeking compassion and completeness. Jesus had that for them...and only Jesus had it for them. They could be around as many people as they could find and still not find the compassion and completeness found in Jesus. Even though we can't fulfill thi...