Skip to main content

Blessings...

This time of year, everyone seems to be wishing others "blessings," at Christmas and with the new year.  This had me thinking one day...(yourself for this, its confession time)...it is so easy to see other people's blessings and wonder "why not me?"  I have learned that God blesses each of us in different way, although this wasn't an easy lesson to learn.  For instance, it's really easy to see other seminary students who get financial support from someone back home and us think "why don't we have that?"  Don't get me wrong, we have lots of support from home and plenty of friend and family that could help....but we have just realized that its is just not God's will for any of them to help us.  We don't receive financial support because God hasn't told them to give in this way.  Instead, God has blessed us in other ways-jobs, low debt, vehicles paid off, etc.  God is good...don't forgot this and be like I am sometimes!  He takes care of us according to His will, not my will or how He takes care of others.  Self pity and pride can suffocate you!  We have to learn to be grateful for what and how God blesses you personally AND for how He blesses others.  Vehicles are another example...I have found myself walking around the seminary housing and thinking "how do they drive that car?  Why can't we have something like that?"  (Again...being embarrassingly honest here!)  Well, I guess we could drive those cars if we got rid of some of our bills.  :)  But God has blesses us with what we have and I am learning to be grateful and be content.  God's timing is perfect...another lesson. If seems as if everyone around us is having children.  This makes me think sometimes that we need to hurry up and join them, like we are behind or something.  But it just isn't the right time for us.  We have asked God to tell us when that time is for us.  If you are like me in all these "issues"...I'm sorry but I don't have all the answers.  But realizing the problem is a great start!  :)  Ask God to help you be content and to realize the ways He has blessed you.  Think on all your blessings that He has given you...always makes me feel better and puts things in perspective! 


"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." -Philippians 4:11


"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” - Hebrews 13:5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Great is Our God!

As I was driving home from work today, I was listening to the Hillsong CD "A Beautiful Exchange."  I really like one of the songs on the CD, so naturally I turned to it.  Well God really spoke to me and I was overcome with emotions!  So I listened to it again...really soaking up the words.  It was just a great reminder of how Great our God is!  Here are the words to the song - "Forever Reign" You are good, You are good When there's nothing good in me You are love, You are love On display for all to see You are light, You are light When the darkness closes in You are hope, You are hope You have covered all my sin You are peace, You are peace When my fear is crippling You are true, You are true Even in my wandering You are joy, You are joy You're the reason that I sing You are life, You are life, In You death has lost it's sting Oh, I’m running to Your arms, I’m running to Your arms The riches of Your love Will always be enough N...

Learning Experience....Trusting God

Cancer…this is a word that strikes fear in our heart with just an utterance, or even just seeing the word. My dad recently found out that he has very early case of prostate cancer, and so I have felt this fear with this word, really for the first time ever. Honestly, I don’t feel like it has sunk in yet. I am so grateful for the great news that this was caught early enough that it shouldn’t be a big concern, but it also almost masks the fact that he does have cancer, at least in my mind. This is probably a good thing given my tendency to let my human nature have reign and let worry take control. I told Trent, “I don’t want to say ‘my dad has cancer.’” But given the facts that is the reality. I think it also makes it surreal that we are so far away from the situation, so it almost doesn’t seem real. So in going through processing this reality, I of course went through all the human nature questions like “why him,” “what if’s,” and “is this somehow my fault.” But I have been amazed (I gu...

Satisfaction

This morning, Trent and I set off for our trek to Arkansas, the "big town" of Etowah to be exact, where he was preaching. I love to hear Trent preach, so I wanted to share what God spoke to me through him today. His sermon this morning was from the text John 11:17-36, where Jesus goes back to Bethany, where his friend Lazarus had died. He meets with both of Lazarus' sisters Mary and Martha, who are (naturally) grieving over the death of their brother. So, in short, the main message of the sermon was - in times of grief or despair, go to Jesus! Really, in general, if you are in need - go to Jesus! He is the only one who can meet our needs! And ALL of them at that!! --Specifically in this case, Mary and Martha were seeking compassion and completeness. Jesus had that for them...and only Jesus had it for them. They could be around as many people as they could find and still not find the compassion and completeness found in Jesus. Even though we can't fulfill thi...