I love how God is there with me on awesome days (the highs) and also the horrible, no good days (lows). This week I experienced both of these this week. But Thursday in particular was a high and God’s presence was amazing. I got the opportunity to hear by hubby preach, got to spend some time with two of my great friends in Memphis, and then I got to just sit and listen as God taught me, just through being still (which doesn’t happen much with me). I am a full blown multi-tasker and planner/scheduler. One of my doctors used to call me an overachiever instead of a multi-tasker….which I am beginning to see if true. From my morning “get ready” routine to my serious (almost OCD) issue with not being able to sit still and do nothing while waiting on something else…I am exhausted at the end of a day. So times when I do sit still and listen are special. I have one particular place where I Have continuously had sweet times with God. I really noticed it when I had my bout with anxiety a few years ago. This one spot was my refuge and my calm spot. It was the only place I could go and feel relief, even if it was short lived. In this place, God reveals things to me about things going on in my life and about Himself that are priceless. All this from being still before Him. There is nothing magical or mystical about the place…it’s all from my being still and allowing my mind to stop racing and just focus on one thing. In my high days and low days I can find God there, with peace and comfort, words of wisdom, and just joy that makes my cup overflow. Do you have a spot? Is there a place that you can look back and see God time after time meeting with you? Cherish this spot. Run to this spot on hard days when fighting temptation! Flee to this spot and give it to Jesus! The times in this spot aren’t always “huge” moments or necessarily feel life changing, but they will impact you and fill you again so you can continue on. Don’t wait for the highs and lows to be in your spot though…go on just mediocre days that are just ok….rely on God in ALL times, not just hard and not just in good.
Be still, and know that I am God! - Psalm 46:10a
Now stand here and see the great thing the LORD is about to do. – 1 Samuel 12:16
Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act. Don’t worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes. – Psalm 37:7
Be silent before the LORD, all humanity, for he is springing into action from his holy dwelling. – Zechariah 2:13
This week there were also so low moments. If you have read my past posts, you may remember that my dad went through a cancer scare a few months ago. Well last week I found out that he had gone to the doctor and they thought he might have some more, this time on his tonsil. So he went for a scan on his neck last Friday and then this past Tuesday he went in to have the tonsil removed…yes just the one tonsil. How neat….I have one of the few one tonsiled dad’s in the world! Well the surgery went well and they didn’t see anything else while they were performing the surgery that looked suspicious. So they sent off the tonsil to the lab and he got results yesterday (Friday) that said it was indeed cancer, and it was a very aggressive kind, but they believe they got it all and caught it early. He will be referred to an oncologist to do some radiation just to be sure, but it should be very effective. God is good. This time around with the news of cancer I wasn’t happy about it, but I reacted totally different than the prostate cancer. I handled that cancer fairly well, but did lose it and cried a lot, but had an amazing peace only from God that allowed me to pull myself together, accept it, and move on with what I could do with what was placed before us. This time, I find myself worried because I am not reacting like I think I should. I feel like there isn’t that same fear, and I guess I translate that into not taking it seriously. But that’s not the case at all. God calls us to not fear! He gives us peace to get through these times. How awesome to think that God is working in me….because this calmness is not how I normally react…just ask my close friends and family. I am excited about the work God is doing in me, so I have to quit over-analyzing my reaction and not think that its wrong because in reality it is exactly how we should react – complete trust in God in every situation. This goes along with my prior post about not having fear of bad news….he is a great God and we can trust Him. If you didn’t read that post, check it out too.
You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! Trust in the LORD always, for the LORD GOD is the eternal Rock. – Isaiah 26:3-4
Those who know your name trust in you, for you, O LORD, do not abandon those who search for you. – Psalm 9:10
The LORD is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving. – Psalm 28:7
But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. – Psalm 56:3
They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the LORD to care for them. – Psalm 112:7
I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit. – Romans 15:13
Be still, and know that I am God! - Psalm 46:10a
Now stand here and see the great thing the LORD is about to do. – 1 Samuel 12:16
Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act. Don’t worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes. – Psalm 37:7
Be silent before the LORD, all humanity, for he is springing into action from his holy dwelling. – Zechariah 2:13
This week there were also so low moments. If you have read my past posts, you may remember that my dad went through a cancer scare a few months ago. Well last week I found out that he had gone to the doctor and they thought he might have some more, this time on his tonsil. So he went for a scan on his neck last Friday and then this past Tuesday he went in to have the tonsil removed…yes just the one tonsil. How neat….I have one of the few one tonsiled dad’s in the world! Well the surgery went well and they didn’t see anything else while they were performing the surgery that looked suspicious. So they sent off the tonsil to the lab and he got results yesterday (Friday) that said it was indeed cancer, and it was a very aggressive kind, but they believe they got it all and caught it early. He will be referred to an oncologist to do some radiation just to be sure, but it should be very effective. God is good. This time around with the news of cancer I wasn’t happy about it, but I reacted totally different than the prostate cancer. I handled that cancer fairly well, but did lose it and cried a lot, but had an amazing peace only from God that allowed me to pull myself together, accept it, and move on with what I could do with what was placed before us. This time, I find myself worried because I am not reacting like I think I should. I feel like there isn’t that same fear, and I guess I translate that into not taking it seriously. But that’s not the case at all. God calls us to not fear! He gives us peace to get through these times. How awesome to think that God is working in me….because this calmness is not how I normally react…just ask my close friends and family. I am excited about the work God is doing in me, so I have to quit over-analyzing my reaction and not think that its wrong because in reality it is exactly how we should react – complete trust in God in every situation. This goes along with my prior post about not having fear of bad news….he is a great God and we can trust Him. If you didn’t read that post, check it out too.
You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! Trust in the LORD always, for the LORD GOD is the eternal Rock. – Isaiah 26:3-4
Those who know your name trust in you, for you, O LORD, do not abandon those who search for you. – Psalm 9:10
The LORD is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving. – Psalm 28:7
But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. – Psalm 56:3
They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the LORD to care for them. – Psalm 112:7
I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit. – Romans 15:13
Comments
Post a Comment