Due to recent events I was thinking about something today and thought it should be in my next blog....so here it goes.
Here is the thought….are you allowing God’s Word to change your life? Are you just reading the Word or are you letting it change your life?
One example: I did a Beth Moore video series at church last year. I believe it was the Wising Up series. On one particular night, one in which I didn’t really want to be there…God really spoke to me. I had had a rough day and a rough drive to church, but went (partly because I wanted to see my friend who was taking it with me and partly because I wanted to be consistent, and Beth Moore is really good!) Anyway, God really worked on that night that really just wanted to go home…and I am so glad I didn’t just go home. The series was about Proverbs, but this night we looked at Psalm 112:7 as part of the study.
“He will have no fear of bad news; his heard is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.”
The beginning of Psalm 112 says: “Praise the Lord. Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who finds great delight in his commands.” So basically, in putting verse 1 and verse 7 together…those who are walking with God will not fear bad news because they are trusting in God. This seems like such a simple statement, but how hard is this to do? I can’t think of a time when I received bad news that I didn’t fear. That is our initial response to bad news, isn’t it?!? But this verse tells us that if we are truly and fully trusting in God, bad news will not shake us. We talked a lot that night of the Wising Up class about understanding. In having an understanding of WHO God is our response is to trust fully in Him…that is the only proper response. This may sound like repetition but…if we really understand WHO God is we will have no reason to fear. Knowing WHO God is means we know He is trustworthy, faithful, doing what is best for us, almighty, all knowing, always present, holy, shepherd, etc. Once we understand who He is (living based on these truths) we will have no other response but to not fear!
So now that I have repeated myself it seems in hopes to make sense of this truth that I have come to love…how do you get there? Well in order to understand how God is, we must spend time with Him! Its kind of like my husband…the more time I spend with him the more I understand him, know more about him (sometimes I just get more confused…but that’s another story…lol). So in reading the Word we learn about who God is. When you are reading the Word, take some time when you have read a passage and ask “what does this tell me about God?” Take note of all these qualities about Him and use them as a reminder when things come up in your life. Of course another way to spend time with God is prayer. Being still before God telling Him what is on your mind and listening for Him to speak to you. One more way to spend time getting to know our awesome God is doing Bible studies….like the Beth Moore study I did. I would highly recommend any of the Beth Moore studies as she is amazing and God really speaks through her. One more way that I will mention to get to know more about God is spending time with His people. Yep…hanging out with other Christians. You get a chance to hear about what God is doing in their life (like reading my blog!! Haha) and can see examples of who God through their life.
So I challenge you…NO more just reading the Word of God! Let it impact you and change you! Allow God to change your mindset through his Word. In relation to Psalm 112:7…not fearing bad news still isn’t my initial reaction. I am still working on this. But what has changed is when my initial reaction is to fear, this verse automatically pops into my mind and I am taken back to that night in the Bible study when God really spoke to me and taught me about not fearing bad news. So I want this fear thing to not be an issue but while I am working on that He uses His Word to remind me and guide me. The Word is alive! Allow God’s Word to be what Psalm 119:105 says: “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”
I am so excited to share this with you (whoever is reading this...)! This is such an exciting concept. When I went home that night from the Bible study I felt like I had been rejuvenated…it just clicked. And my desire is that the truths of God will “click” with you too!
Here is the thought….are you allowing God’s Word to change your life? Are you just reading the Word or are you letting it change your life?
One example: I did a Beth Moore video series at church last year. I believe it was the Wising Up series. On one particular night, one in which I didn’t really want to be there…God really spoke to me. I had had a rough day and a rough drive to church, but went (partly because I wanted to see my friend who was taking it with me and partly because I wanted to be consistent, and Beth Moore is really good!) Anyway, God really worked on that night that really just wanted to go home…and I am so glad I didn’t just go home. The series was about Proverbs, but this night we looked at Psalm 112:7 as part of the study.
“He will have no fear of bad news; his heard is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.”
The beginning of Psalm 112 says: “Praise the Lord. Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who finds great delight in his commands.” So basically, in putting verse 1 and verse 7 together…those who are walking with God will not fear bad news because they are trusting in God. This seems like such a simple statement, but how hard is this to do? I can’t think of a time when I received bad news that I didn’t fear. That is our initial response to bad news, isn’t it?!? But this verse tells us that if we are truly and fully trusting in God, bad news will not shake us. We talked a lot that night of the Wising Up class about understanding. In having an understanding of WHO God is our response is to trust fully in Him…that is the only proper response. This may sound like repetition but…if we really understand WHO God is we will have no reason to fear. Knowing WHO God is means we know He is trustworthy, faithful, doing what is best for us, almighty, all knowing, always present, holy, shepherd, etc. Once we understand who He is (living based on these truths) we will have no other response but to not fear!
So now that I have repeated myself it seems in hopes to make sense of this truth that I have come to love…how do you get there? Well in order to understand how God is, we must spend time with Him! Its kind of like my husband…the more time I spend with him the more I understand him, know more about him (sometimes I just get more confused…but that’s another story…lol). So in reading the Word we learn about who God is. When you are reading the Word, take some time when you have read a passage and ask “what does this tell me about God?” Take note of all these qualities about Him and use them as a reminder when things come up in your life. Of course another way to spend time with God is prayer. Being still before God telling Him what is on your mind and listening for Him to speak to you. One more way to spend time getting to know our awesome God is doing Bible studies….like the Beth Moore study I did. I would highly recommend any of the Beth Moore studies as she is amazing and God really speaks through her. One more way that I will mention to get to know more about God is spending time with His people. Yep…hanging out with other Christians. You get a chance to hear about what God is doing in their life (like reading my blog!! Haha) and can see examples of who God through their life.
So I challenge you…NO more just reading the Word of God! Let it impact you and change you! Allow God to change your mindset through his Word. In relation to Psalm 112:7…not fearing bad news still isn’t my initial reaction. I am still working on this. But what has changed is when my initial reaction is to fear, this verse automatically pops into my mind and I am taken back to that night in the Bible study when God really spoke to me and taught me about not fearing bad news. So I want this fear thing to not be an issue but while I am working on that He uses His Word to remind me and guide me. The Word is alive! Allow God’s Word to be what Psalm 119:105 says: “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”
I am so excited to share this with you (whoever is reading this...)! This is such an exciting concept. When I went home that night from the Bible study I felt like I had been rejuvenated…it just clicked. And my desire is that the truths of God will “click” with you too!
Comments
Post a Comment